Did you know that poor air quality can have some serious negative side effects? It can actually cause infections and even diseases if it gets bad enough. Asthma can also be a negative side effect of poor indoor air quality. Some of the lesser side effects include congestion, nausea, and headaches. Though these side effects aren’t as bad as full blow diseases and infects, it’s still preferable to never have to deal with them. Knowing how to improve your air quality and suppress allergens in your home can help improve your quality of life.
Tips for Improving Air Quality
- Change your air filter regularly – The more often you change your air filter, the less pollutants are coming through it. There are many options for air filters that are actually designed to catch allergens and improve the air quality in your home. You should change or clean your air filter at least once every 6 months to ensure that its working properly
- Use a dehumidifier – Allergens don’t have much of a place to live without humidity. A dehumidifier will help keep your home dry. Coupled with a clean air conditioner, your home should be allergen free all summer long. You should remember to clean both of them regularly to avoid any contaminants making their way into the air.
- Keep your animals clean – It doesn’t matter whether you get a pet that promises no allergies or not, pets will still produce their fair amount of allergens. It’s best to make sure that you bathe them often and clean any surface that attracts allergens (i.e. upholstery). It’s also advisable to avoid letting your pet sleep in your room or on couches.
- Reduce use of carpets – Owning your own home gives you the luxury of choosing what type of flooring you want. Hardwoods, tile, and linoleum attract less allergens than carpet does. If you don’t regularly have your carpets cleaned, they will trap allergens that can make you and your family sick.
- Have your HVAC unit checked – Over time, you’re HVAC unit can end up holding dangerous allergens and gasses. Having your HVAC unit regularly checked, maintenance, and clean will help you to keep these allergens and gasses outdoors. Professionals will know exactly how to keep your HVAC unit clean and allergen free.
HVAC Maintenance Plans
When you purchase a maintenance plan with Farnen & Dermer, you will receive preferred service whenever a problem does occur with your system. We’ll cool you down or warm you up promptly and efficiently, while helping you improve the air quality of your home!
If you have any questions about HAVC maintenance or wish to schedule an appointment, call us at (410)-902-0020. You can also use our online contact form. You will be contacted by a member of our support staff within 24 business hours.
Start following Farnen & Dermer today on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Source: Good Housekeeping